Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Ears Pierced

Today was a momentous occasion! I am the mom, so I get to make the rules. If I am at the mall and my daughter wants to get her ears pierced..... I say "YES, lets get your ears pierced." Now rewind 25 years ago. I was 12 years old and FINALLY got my ears pierced. My mom had a very strict rule about ear piercing in our family. TWELVE was the magic age to reach this exciting milestone. Who knows why the 12th year of life is the magic ear piercing age, but it was. Now I can't help but respect my mom for being consistent and not giving in, but I think I still am a little bitter about the whole thing. This was one of the biggest power struggles between my mom and I. I'm sure it's hard to believe, but when I want something, I don't stop until I get it. I begged my mom every single day to PLEEAAASSEEE let me get my ears pierced. I can't believe what a strong woman my mom was to hold fast to her rule.


So now, I am the mom, and this is my rule "My daughters can get their ears pierced whenever they ask to."

Today, I took Mallory and Emery to swim lessons. After swim lessons I had a quick errand at the mall. We had lunch at Chick-Fil-a, which was a lot of fun sitting at the small table and chairs with my knees touching my chin, having conversation with Mallory and Emery. They are so entertaining. We talked about all kinds of fun things. After lunch, they couldn't wait to go play on the Tree House play ground. We spent about 1/2 hour there and then I had to run into one store. As we passed Claire's, I said, "Hey do you girls want to get your ears pierced." Pretty sure this would never happen. They both replied, "NO!" As we continued walking, Mallory turned around facing the store and said, "actually mom, I do want to get my ears pierced." She began marching toward Claires. I still wasn't convinced she wouldn't chicken out. She picked out the cutest pink flower earrings and sat up on the big chair.






It's so nice they have two girls doing it at the same time.


All done...


Emery supporting and being excited for Mallory
After Mallory was done, I said "So Emery, do you want yours pierced?" She quietly nodded her head yes. "Are you sure? Should we call your mom." I dialed the number and handed Emery the phone, thinking she for sure would chicken out. It was so cute ... "mom, can I get my ears pierced." I'm sure Lisa was wondering what she was doing. After I talked to Lisa, we decided to let Emery go ahead and get her's pierced too. After all, BFF's do everything together, right?


Being soooo brave



Matching earrings!

They were both so brave, and didn't even shed a tear. I wonder how old Mallory's kids will have to be before they can get their ears pierced!!!





"

10 comments:

Lisa Erskine said...

Soooo cute, those two!! My mom was just like yours...I had to be 12 years old, but she suprised me on my 11th Birhtday and we both went and got our ears pierced together (I still even remember the swear word my mom said after they pierced her first one). :) Thanks for being Emery's 'other' Mom and taking her everywhere you go! She loves you and her BFF, Mal!

Lisa Erskine said...

BTW, Emery looks terrified in every picture! :) I know if I were there it would have never happened!!

Scha&Andi said...

OMG that is awesome. so funny! my daughter watched the new parent trap with lindsay lohan. she watch her pierce her ears and looked at me and said, "MOM i will NEVER get my ears pierced." so that is that. haha!

Liz said...

So stinkin cute! Those two are hilarious. I wish I was there for the excitement! Emery does look terrified...Mallory probably threatened her life if she didn't get it done! You do that to me all the time! The apple does NOT fall far from the tree!
Now they need new dresses to go with their earrings...Auntie Liz will take them! :)

jenn said...

This whole post was so funny! Not only did we not have a set age we could get our ears pierced, my Mom literally let me pierce my second hole...myself...at my friend's house....with a needle and an icecube!

Mallory and Emery are so cute. Amazing what a little peer pressure will do. Way to go, girls!

Meg said...

That's funny...I remember you wanted your ears pierced so bad! I remember you begging mom every day! She was strong to hold out and not give into your tantrums :) I am surprised you didn't just take Lindsie and Mal to get their ears pierced when they were first born.

susan hall said...

you are mean mommy for making them do that...just/kidding they will love you for making them do that..did lisa know you were going to do that??? or was it a surprise for her??? they are so stinken cute love those two...

Janet/Grammy said...

Well Margo, I feel like Meg...I can't understand why both Lindsie and Mallory didn't come home from the hospital with their ears pierced! This whole thing brings back silly memories. I don't know what I was thinking of, but after all, I was the mother, even though you tried to make me think YOU were:) Can't wait to see Mallory's beautiful little ears. Glad she had a friend to go along with it all. Seems like you did also?????

Janet/Grammy said...

Well Margo, I feel like Meg...I can't understand why both Lindsie and Mallory didn't come home from the hospital with their ears pierced! This whole thing brings back silly memories. I don't know what I was thinking of, but after all, I was the mother, even though you tried to make me think YOU were:) Can't wait to see Mallory's beautiful little ears. Glad she had a friend to go along with it all. Seems like you did also?????

Chelle said...

OK, so that is hilarious! What a cool mom you are! Those will be priceless pictures one day for those two girls...I've never seen such a smile out of Em...the one w/the black teddy bear!!! Way to go! I'll call you when Liza starts asking:)