Monday, August 31, 2009

EaR TrOuBle

It was Saturday night at Last Chance, we had just turned out all the lights and settled down into our cozy beds. The kids were all sound asleep and the Erskines were sleeping in the room next to ours. All of the sudden, Rick starts screaming like a MAD MAN! He jumps out of bed and is flipping his head in all directions -- "A moth just flew into my ear, A moth just flew into my ear!" Jason and Lisa come running in to see what all the commotion was about. Jason, being the calm-collected friend, started to work on Rick's ear. First, he yelled to Nurse Lisa to grap the tweezers. He pinned Rick down on the bed, shinning the flashlight into his ear and tried to pull the moth out. It was pretty funny to watch Rick "bucking"Jason off everytime the moth started flapping next to his ear drum, as he was trying to perform surgery. When the tweezers weren't working, the next idea was a vaccum. I wish I had a picture of this: Jason with the dust buster vaccum attached to Rick's ear trying to suck up the little bugger. No dice! Next was a water bottle inserted into the ear to try to flush it out. Nope, no success. So off to Tooele Emergency Room we went. Rick entered the hospital like a Tourette's patient. He would be just fine walking, then the moth would start to flap, and he would start going into convulsions like he was having a seizure. I thought he was going to rip his head off.

The nurses were all entertained by Rick's behavior and even the doctor was amused. He was a pretty good sport, given the fact he was being tortured.

They put mineral oil into the ear to kill it. Finally, relief!

Then they irrigated it out with a syringe and water. Pretty easy procedure for such a HUGE CRISIS!


Here is the little bugger that sent Rick over the edge!
He explains it like this: Just think of a helicopter next to your ear drum while someone is tickling you in an inappropriate place and it doesn't stop. The funniest part is that he had a very sore neck for about a week after from all the convulsions!
Love you Rick!


8 comments:

Lisa Erskine said...

I am glad that Jason was so serious about helping his poor friend out...cuz we were too busy secretly dying of laughter! :) I have never seen Rick freak out like he was...poor guy! Does he still sleep with toilet paper shoved in his ear??? I wouldn't blame him! Just another great weekend full of memories that we'll never forget!

margo said...

Before he goes to bed he has to check the room for any type of flying bug. Then he wads up toilet paper and shoves it into his ears! I'll have to invest in some ear plugs for the CRAZY man! He is suffering from POst Traumatic Stress Disorder.

susan hall said...

HAHAHAHAHA...I'M LAUGHING SO HARD I'M TRYING TO TYPE.....OH MAN I HOPE YOUR EAR IS OK...I BET THAT SUCKED....OF ALL THE PEOPLE TO HAVE THAT HAPPEN TOO...POOR RICK...

susan hall said...

ps that thing is huge!!!! i think i would be having convolsions also...

The Wride Family said...

I am sorry but that is one of the funniest stories ever!! I will be telling that one for a long time. Sorry Rick you had to go through that but just think you will always have a story that will top everyones else!! That is a big ugly thing to have in your ear. I would be freaking out and having convulsions too!! Margo did you rub his soar neck!!!

Holly H. said...

That is HILARIOUS! Only Rick. :)

Meg said...

Yuck!! That is pretty funny though. I guess "what goes around, comes around" huh? I still remember Rick telling the story of throwing flower over the shower door when Clay was taking a shower. And then Clay had to go to the DR. because his ear hurt and they found dough stuck in his ear!

Addie said...

Ha ha ha, so funny! I know where he can get some good physical therapy for that neck!!!